We take a look at what happened in the Logie project 100 years ago this month.
Happy New Year! This picture was taken on New Year’s day. Quite a snowy new year by the looks of things. The blocks are starting to take shape. Most of Elm Street is complete and many of the blocks on the South side look recognisable. 242 men are now employed at the site. It was reported that 600 unemployed men had been employed in the city at Logie and at other Council funded projects. Although only 150 were working at the time and there were still 3350 registered with the Labour Exchange (the equivalent of the Job Centre).
Problems with the supply of bricks seemed to have been solved. Although James Thomson, City Engineer and Architect stated that another 14 million would be needed in 1920 for Logie and other housing developments at Hospital Park and Stirling Park. Despite the Government scheme for buying materials, including bricks, was causing supply issues, it was deemed a general benefit as it meant that costs were kept down as the Government paid lower prices. When the scheme was threatened with being shut down the Council went into uproar and demanded to put in their views before the scheme was shut down.
The inspection by the Housing Committee takes place on 29th January. The Courier reported on the houses. All had a living room and either one or two bedrooms. The kitchen was described as “practically another room” – a telling description showing the generous size of these kitchens and the smaller size that homes of this size were used to. The Courier also noted that the expected rate of occupancy of Logie was 54 persons per acre, compared with 400 per acre in the town tenement areas.